History of the Day for:
- 1492: Christopher Columbus missed Florida when he changed course due to a false cry of "Land ho"
- 1542: Explorer Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo became the first Euorpean to visit Santa Catalina Island off the California coast.
- 1763: George III of Great Britain issued the Proclamation of 1763, closing lands in North America north and west of the Alleghenies to white settlement.
- 1765: A Stamp Act Congress began sitting in New York to protest the British Stamp Act. It adopted the Declaration of Rights that opposed taxation without representation.
- 1777: The second Battle of Saratoga began in the Revolutionary War.
- 1780: In the Revolutionary War, 1,100 British soldiers under Maj. Patrick Ferguson were surrounded and heavily defeated by American militia in the battle of King's Mountain in western Carolina.
- 1806: Carbon paper was patented in London by inventor Ralph Wedgewood.
- 1849: Edgar Allan Poe, writer of mysterious and macabre stories, died mysteriously at age 40.
- 1856: Cyrus Chambers Jr. patented a folding machine that folded book and newspaper sheets.
- 1913: Henry Ford instituted a moving assembly line.
- 1919: KLM, the national airline of the Netherlands, was established, the oldest existing airline.
- 1959: The far side of the moon was photographed for the first time by the Soviet Union's Luna 3 spacecraft.
- 1963: President Kennedy signed the ratification for a nuclear test ban treaty.
- 1981: Hosni Mubarak became acting president of Egypt following the assassination of Anwar Sadat Oct. 6.
- 1985: Palestinian guerrillas seized the Achille Lauro, an Italian passenger ship carrying about 440 people, and threatened to blow it up if Israel did not free 50 Palestinian prisoners. Leon Klinghoffer, an elderly wheelchair-bound American, was killed.
- 2001: The United States launched its attack in Afghanistan to crush the Taliban and Al Qaeda members responible to the September 11th attacks.
- 2003: Gray Davis is recalled as Governor of California, three years before the official end of his office term. Arnold Schwarzenegger is elected Governor.
- 2004: King Norodom Sihanouk of Cambodia abdicates.