History of the Day for:
- 1100: William the Conqueror's son, King William II of England, was killed while hunting.
- 1589: France's Henry III was assassinated.
- 1610: Henry Hudson entered the bay that was later named after him, the Hudson Bay.
- 1776: Most members of the 55-strong Continental Congress began signing the Declaration of Independence.
- 1782: George Washington created the Honorary Badge of Distinction.
- 1858: The first mailboxes were installed along Boston and New York City streets.
- 1876: "Wild Bill" Hickok was shot and killed as he played cards in a Deadwood, S.D. saloon.
- 1887: Rowell Hodge patented barbed wire.
- 1892: Charles A. Wheeler patented a prototype of the escalator.
- 1934: Adolf Hitler declared himself Fuhrer (leader) of Germany.
- 1939: President Roosevelt signed the Hatch Act, forbidding civil service employees from participating in political campaigns.
- 1943: Lt. John F. Kennedy's PT-109 torpedo boat was sunk by a Japanese destroyer. Kennedy saved at least one crew member and was named a World War II hero.
- 1964: The North Vietnamese attacked an American destroyer in the Gulf of Tonkin.
- 1990: Iraq invaded Kuwait and the U.N. Security Council demanded it withdraw.