Lesson Number: 012
Aim: How did the Jamestown colony survive?
Problems in the Jamestown colony - 1607
- London Company settlers searched for gold, silver, and river passages to the Far East.
- These settlers failed to plant crops and build shelters.
A new leader takes charge of Jamestown
- John Smith, an English soldier, became leader and created strict rules.
- Smith also set-up work parties, who would build shelters, plant crops, hunt and search for fresh water.
- Smith also made friends with the Native Americans.
The Cash Crop - Tobacco
- Tobacco became a successful and profitable crop for Jamestown.
- However, tobacco needs a lot of people to care for the crop.
- Jamestown introduced indentured servants and slaves to work the crops.
Social Studies Performance Standards
Objective Number(s) covered in this lesson - SS1, SS2, SS3, SS4, SS5
What are the Social Studies Performance Standards - Click Here
|7th Grade Classes:|
|Have your test signed by adult and returned tomorrow.|