Lesson Number: 031
Aim: How did the pioneers expand into the frontier?
The Pioneers and the Frontier
- The frontier was disputed land between the 13 English colonies and French Louisiana.
- Pioneers, such as, Daniel Boone, explored throughout the frontier.
- Frontier roads were rough, narrow, dirt trails, usually from old Indian trails.
- The Great Wagon Road went from Philadelphia to South Carolina.
- The Wilderness Road traveled west into what is now Kentucky and Tennessee.
- Land, animals, and food were plentiful.
- However, life in the frontier was dangerous -- no schools, medicine, stores, or protection from hostile Native American tribes and wild animals.
Social Studies Performance Standards
Objective Number(s) covered in this lesson - SS1, SS3
What are the Social Studies Performance Standards - Click Here