Lesson Number: 030
Aim: What were some early problems in the 13 Colonies?
Bacon's Rebellion - 1676
- Nathaniel Bacon was a farmer and member of the Virginia council.
- In Virginia, backcountry farmers were upset with Governor William Berkeley over Native American attacks and a poor harvest of crops.
- Even though Bacon was a member of the Virginia colonial government, he supported the farmers, protested, and burned Jamestown.
- The English stopped the rebellion, but it demonstrated the colonists' willingness to fight against English control.
John Peter Zenger - 1734
- John Peter Zenger was the publisher of the New York Weekly Journal.
- Zenger printed articles criticizing New York Governor William Cosby.
- Governor Cosby had Zenger arrested and charged with libel.
- Zenger was found NOT guilty, marking the beginning of Freedom of the Press in the 13 English Colonies.
Social Studies Performance Standards
Objective Number(s) covered in this lesson - SS1, SS4, SS5
What are the Social Studies Performance Standards - Click Here