Lesson Number: 028
Aim: How were the American Colonies governed?
Types of colonial government
- Royal Colony - The King had direct control of the colony and appointed a governor.
- Proprietary Colony - The King gave land to the proprietor, who then helped appoint a governor.
- Self-Governing Colony - Colonists received a charter from the King and then the colonists elected a governor.
Parts of the Colonial Government
- The Governor was the executive, who enforced and carried out the laws of the colony.
- The Legislature was a two-part house of a colonial goverment. The Upper and Lower Houses made the laws of the colony.
- The Upper House or Council members were picked by the King and the colonial governor.
- The Lower House or Assembly members were picked by the colonists. Only white, male landowners could vote for the assembly members.
Social Studies Performance Standards
Objective Number(s) covered in this lesson - SS1, SS2, SS5
What are the Social Studies Performance Standards - Click Here