My Teaching Career
Below is the growing listing of my teaching career.
My teaching career includes:
- I have been working for the Department of Education (Board of Education) of New York City since 1993.
- I worked as a paraprofessional in Districts 20, 21 and 22.
- My student-teaching was completed at Lincoln High School.
- I have been working as a History teacher at Marine Park since 1996.
- During my tenure at Marine Park, I have taught:
- 6th grade Social Studies (Geography and Global Studies).
- 7th grade Social Studies (Early Colonial and American History).
- 8th grade Social Studies (American History - Civil War to the present).
- 7th grade Law Academy Program (Self-Contained - Literacy, Math, Science, and Social Studies).
- 6th grade and 7th grade classes the different skills and techniques to resolve conflicts through Peer Negotiation.
Aside from teaching, I volunteer, support and create many other school functions.
- Arranged and executed the distribution of $700 of vending machine funds to help aid those impacted by the 9/11/01 World Trade Center attacks.
- Created, and managed the daily operations, with student volunteers, the Marine Park Store -- providing students with school supplies.
- Maintain the school's BJ's Wholesale Club account to support school-based functions.
- Worked with staff members, and administrators with the New York City Outward Bound Center; establishing a school-based peer mediation program.
- Assisted and coordinated the collection of materials and letter-writing to our troops fighting to protect our nation.
- Assisted the school staff, and students on supplying and operating the annual Marine Park carnival.
- Negotiated and secured the purchase of lunchtime snacks to supplement school funding.
- Member of the 2003-2004 Disciplinary Committee.
- Raised funds, by distributing candy, for the Marine Park Band during their annual candy sale.
- Secured advertisement funds from local businesses to raise money for the Marine Park Yearbook.
- Member of the 2002-2003 UFT Chapter Election Committee.
- Assisted the guidance team by distributing, with another staff member, 8th grade records to several Brooklyn high schools.
- Participated in the Marine Park student / staff volleyball game.
- Arranged and completed, with Principal approval, the purchase of new audio/video equipment for the school.
- Created and managed the Marine Park Band website for the instrumental music department. (2001-2006)
- Assisted the Principal in raising money for the school by exploring various fund-raising avenues.
- Secured the purchase of globes, Social Studies geography workbooks and several maps for Social Studies teachers (in 1997, and again in 2002).
- Work with other Social Studies teachers on Social Studies lesson planning and pacing calendar issues.
- Work with other Social Studies teachers on class grouping and other teaching strategies.
- Assist other teachers on creating Social Studies lesson plans.
- Participate in school bake sales.
- Chaperone and assist at school dances.
- Attend school musicals.
- Chaperone overnight school trips.
- Attend school talent shows.
- Chaperone the 8th grade prom.
- Attend school awards ceremonies.
- Run the Teachers' Lounge vending machines; raising money for staff functions.
- Arranged and completed the purchase of new furniture and equipment for the Teachers' Lounge.
- Assisted the Principal regarding student lunchroom vending machines; raising money for school functions.
- Assist fellow staff members in organizing holiday and end-term parties.